Saturday, May 16, 2009

Reality fumes and fire!!-My pick on Reality Shows


These days all I can see on TV are reality shows,in any language,in all variety.Either the programme or its repeat telecast or its ad !!!!!
I keep changing the channels every few minutes,unless the current channel has at least a bit of Shahrukh Khan ;-))
(I don't know why, every few minutes I get this feeling that some other channel would be airing a better programme).
So its obvious how many times I come across them!!
Where once soaps and mega serials reigned, the throne and the crown has now been passed on to reality shows.

A garrulous host or a gorgeous hostess or both holding the center stage, celebrity judges and a whole load of contestants begging(and i mean begging!!!)for votes(like the netas at election times only difference being that here there are specific SMS format!!!!).
The "format" of the show is the same in any channel(for that matter, I have followed only Malayalam and Hindi channels but was also privileged enough to glimpse the same scenario in other channels while ,of course ,busy touring myself through them).
What has me completely bowled over is the variety of the shows.Dance,music(vocal and instruments!!),humor,drama,elocution and sometimes all these in a single one!The genres have me really awestruck.I came across a new variety recently, one on kadhaprasangam in Kairali.
Whether it's kids or grown ups or couples or celebrities, there definitely is a show they can pitch in!.There are some specially for ladies/house wives(why not one for gents I wonder,or is there one which i missed???) and some for celebrity couples!!!
Hey, Don't think I am criticizing these shows too much.
I am not against these talent hunts and promotion of genuine talent.After all apart from bringing into light all the latent talents they also are a come back portal for all the yummy mummies.;-)))(That was the adjective some magazine used for some of the celebrity judges. I somehow liked it!!!).
The participants are all truly gifted and these shows are definitely entertaining too but what bugs me are the publicity stunts. The judges arguing amongst themselves, the emotional athyachaar by the contestants when they have to leave the stage for good, the whole drama of rulayi-dhulayi amongst the participants and the judges!!!!It would of course be disheartening for a participant to leave the competition at some critical juncture,but why the fuss yaar.Why should the judges and the host and all others there too join the tear drain!!!Or rather, even if it is truly genuine emotion, why should the programme air it, or better put,highlight it!!! To capture audience attraction?? -- But, I thought these were reality shows not kyun ki saans bhi kabhi bahu thi... ;-)))

A good thing I like about them apart from of course the anchors ;-) are that sometimes really deserving contestants win .I didn't mean 'deserving' in terms of talent alone.A son/daughter hoping to win the prize apartment for his/her homeless parents,an auto driver who wants to take his mom in an aeroplane with the money he wins,a mason, a bus conductor!!Some of these competitions atleast,provide a platform for these less privileged talents to be recognized(and I hope the doors to these are genuinely fair!!)The idea of audience voting definitely has me skeptical.I happened to see a comedy programme in which the protagonists takes money from the contestants and promises them his "votes".How much transparency is there in such judgements????

Well,These shows have definitely boosted the mobile services and made our janta mobile phone literate!!

Doordarshan too doesn't want to be left behind in this race of reality shows.And DD seems to have bagged the biggest catch. A reality show on rock concerts to be conducted or judged by none other than the big small man,AR Rahman, himself. Don't know how far the rumour is true and when the show would begin,but the rumour atleats sounds good and I join the league of Rahman fans eagerly waiting....

I am not an addict to any of them yet, but I enjoy these
1)star Singer(Asianet)--
All the participants are exceptionally talented,Ranjini hosts it unimitably and none of the judges fall in the yummy-mummy category.After all Chithra hasn't gone anywhere to have a come back!!
Buy ya, i was a little upset by Didi(Usha Uthup) crying (and sometimes Ranjini too) whenenevr some fav contestant left in the last season!!!!
2)Dance India Dance -- Each and every episode has me wonderstruck.What performances!!

If you liked my post or if you didn't please vote for me.It is only through your support that I can do well again.To vote for me please type and send it to "reflections" ;-)))))

No comments: